Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word which means “the science of life and longevity.” It is the oldest system of health discipline in the world, first described in India about 5,000 years ago. It is an ancient wisdom of health and healing that emphasizes prevention. The two main objectives of Ayurveda are (1) maintenance of health of a healthy individual and (2) disease treatment of a diseased individual.
According to Ayurveda, we are made of five basic elements found in the universe: air, space, fire, water, and earth. These elements are combined in the human body to form three energies called Doshas. These doshas are responsible for the characteristics of our natural body constitution.
• Vata dosha (space and air) – It governs our bodily movements. It controls our mind, breath, blood flow, heart functions, and the ability to get rid of waste through the intestines.
• Pitta dosha (fire and water) – It governs digestion, nutrition, metabolism, and body temperature. It controls the release of hormones linked to digestion.
• Kapha dosha (water and earth) – It governs lubrication and structure. It controls muscle growth, body strength and stability, weight, and the immune system.
Everyone inherits a unique mix of the three doshas according to different permutation and combination. Depending on the dominance of doshas, a person inherits particular qualities and constitution. These doshas need to be in balance for healthy living. Any imbalances become the causative factor of illness. Imbalances of these doshas may manifest in different disease conditions such as, but not limited to:
• Vata dosha – mental fog, anxiety, constipation/bloating/gas, extreme dryness
• Pitta dosha – psoriasis, Crohn’s disease, stomach and intestinal ulcers, acne
• Kapha dosha – depression, obesity, diabetes, cancer and tumors
Ayurveda offers methods of nutrition, bodywork, and energy work through a holistic approach in the true sense of the word. It is the art of daily living in harmony with the laws of nature, a delicate balance between mind, body, and consciousness that can only be achieved through awareness. Visit our Ayurvedic holistic center to learn more about your imbalances, clear up your energies, achieve better health at a cellular level, and fulfill your potentials by living pain-free!